Plagiarism


A recent incident disturbed my quiet existence. Somebody who has a big name in local media made use of one of my entries in this blog in her paper without acknowledging authorship. She's big and this blogger is just a nobody; ergo, she may have assumed that she can do whatever she wanted. She should have known the ethical standards of journalism as she is an editor-in-chief of her paper. And yet she published it under her name without batting an eyelid. I am sadden though as she used to be someone I look up to.

Be that as it may, I'll just humor myself by recalling Paulino's quote on plagiarism. He says and I quote
"When someone copies from a book, it is called plagiarism;
When someone copies from a couple of books, it is called comparative study;
When someone copies from three books, it is in-depth analysis;
When someone copies from four books, it is thesis writing;
When someone copies from five books, it is dissertation."

But how would you call a deed by an editor-in-chief who decided to write feature by copying a blog entry of some unknown writer?



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Something About Tumbo (Cara y Cruz): A Hypothesis

SOOTHING AS NIGHT WINDS ARE: An Interpretation of the poem by that title by Salvador B. Espinas

Maeocong, Chieftain of the Jae-o No More