In a Distance: Lolek was Sent to UST one Sunny Morning Telling the World of God's Love

Photo courtesy of Catholic Online
I have been hunting down my old notes, photo albums and journals these past few days. I was particularly interested on those memorabilia associated with the last visit of the late Pope John Paul II who is due to be beatified on May 1 to coincide the celebration of the Divine Mercy Sunday. I was unlucky finding my journal of 1995 though. Nanay helped me out digging up the dusty bulks of photo albums in a nook behind the altar of our house. The activity though had her sent back through those captured moments into some bygone years when life was simple and quiet. 

Pope John II addressing the faithful at the
UST ground in 1995 on the occasion
of the 10th World Youth Day.
But I was a single-minded mule, determined at finding just anything that is associated with Blessed Lolek. I take anything by that degree as something worthwhile to pan on the dying embers in the hearts of men, mine primarily.

After a while and a few sneeze, I got my price: a couple of photos of the Pope which I took in January of 1995 when he came to the University of Sto. Tomas, that Royal and Pontifical University in EspaƱa, Manila--the oldest in Asia which had just celebrated its 400 years anniversary last January 2011.  I took many photos of him though for I was carrying 3 cameras at that time, the two of which were by some friends who were not lucky enough to have a pass--the proximate areas were exclusive of the Dominicans and for some select faculty members, student-leaders and a few seminarians. (A friend-seminarian gave up his privilege and lent me his pass just to give me the leeway to frame the Pope) Yet I can't find all of them saved the two.

The Pope as he descended from the
stage after delivering his message at
the UST ground. 
I have always believed that ours is a special time. Our contemporaries are saints and martyrs and yet we failed to recognize them. They have been calling us out in their quiet and simple lifestyle and yet our attention are drawn to the spectacularism and the grandstanding of men. They have given witness to Truth and have kept the Word alive not only in their hearts but in their day-to-day dealings. They keep on telling us in their very lives of the unconditional love of God for each and all of us.

Ora pro nobis, Blessed Lolek!

_______
P.S.
 What a nice gift to your kids as they take their summer break: Lolek-The Boy who Become Pope John Paul II


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Something About Tumbo (Cara y Cruz): A Hypothesis

SOOTHING AS NIGHT WINDS ARE: An Interpretation of the poem by that title by Salvador B. Espinas

Maeocong, Chieftain of the Jae-o No More