In Memoriam: Rodolfo M. Arreza, OSA and the Revisiting of the History of Balete

My mentor and confessor, Fr. Rudy Arreza, OSA woke me up early today. Don't get me wrong. Fr. Rudy is long dead. As a matter of fact, today (October 11) is his second death anniversary. But it is true that he woke me up around three o'clock in the morning today.
Here lies the remains of Fr. Rudy
Rolling Hills Memorial Park, Bacolod City
(Photo, courtesy of Fr. Pederito Aparece, OSA)
I went to sleep early last night. I was tired of the long day that passed. Yet I managed to say the Compline before I hit the bed. Now that thing is unusual. (But that is going out of the topic) My sleep was however deep and restful, at least, initially. For by three o'clock, the slumber was interrupted by the barking of my dogs. Perhaps some fisherfolks are passing by, I reasoned out, or perhaps, some bearcats are on the prowl again, hunting for ripe Rambutan. So I tried to go back to sleep. Then, slowly, he wandered into my mind--Fr. Rudy.   

I have maintained that it was no coincident that I found my way to Bacolod City on October 11, 2011. As I was riding the bus early on that day, I was already wondering of the whereabouts of my dear Fr. Arreza. I had lost contact with my Augustinian brethren since the time I left the seminary in 1993. But Fr. Rudy and Fr. Raymond (Alcayaga) managed to contact me through my parish priest (Msgr. Pedro Frac) when they stayed at Aklan College (now Aklan Catholic College) for the Private Schools Athletic Association (PRISAA) West Visayan Collegiate Games sometime in February of 2008.  In July of 1998, Fr. Rudy was gracious in assisting me at the University of San Agustin in doing research about local history. He was aware that Balete had no credible history that can stand scholarship. He vouched for me before the suspicious librarian who was reluctant in lending me those rare books (Perez' Catalogo Bio-Bibliografico [1901] and Hipoloto's Estados de los Pueblos [1919]). He was happy to give me some advice on how to do about my research and which libraries I have to consult. Back in the seminary, he was my el terrible Latin and Spanish instructor. More importantly, he was my confessor. Precisely that as he lay dying on October 11, 2011, our thoughts and spirits were in communion and his guided mine to be present during the funeral mass in his honor at the Colegio de San Agustin Chapel in Bacolod City a couple of days later.
A tarpaulin along the hallway besides CSA Chapel, thanking Fr. Rudy.
The caption below was said to be the words of Fr. Rudy upon realizing that he
was confined at the hospital.

Two years after, he reminded me again of his legacy. So I spend this day in silence and recollection and of paying a visit to the dead in my neighborhood. Later today, I hope to set foot in the cemetery to light some candles and pay homage to forgotten dead. Yes, I remember you well, my dear Fr. Arreza. Remember me too in our Father's kingdom. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Something About Tumbo (Cara y Cruz): A Hypothesis

SOOTHING AS NIGHT WINDS ARE: An Interpretation of the poem by that title by Salvador B. Espinas

The Ballad of the Mamumugon