Goethe Found It in the Shade







I'm inclined to believe that Johann Wolfgang von Goethe wrote this poem entitled, Found, although I've not seen it in its printed form. The style and the theme verging on nature and the incidents of life typical of Goethe's works are well manifested in its verses. But I'm not an expert when it comes to Goethe. As a matter of fact, I just stumbled upon the poem one summer afternoon early in my youth as I ventured to trespass into my sister's room. That was the first time I heard of him then. The poem was set on the headboard of her bed, as if enthroned like my mother's Bible on our altar. The poem, handwritten on a piece of board paper by her future husband as a gift for the Valentine's day, had my usual forgetful mind remembers it vividly:

FOUND

I walked in the woods all by myself
to seek nothing, that was on my mind.
I saw in the shade
a little flower stand,
bright like the stars
like beautiful eyes.
I wanted to pluck it
but it said sweetly:
Is is to wilt that I must be broken?
I took it out
with all its roots
carried it to the garden
at the pretty house.
And planted it again
in a quiet place.
Now it spreads and blossoms forth.


My sister lost her poem when Undang wrecked havoc on our house and the rest of Panay one fateful day in November of 1984 (or was it 1983?). The inundated Jal-o followed it up as if adding insult to injury. Yet, somehow, my usually forgetful heart remembers and I wonder why.

And just in case you are interested in Goethe's other poems, just follow this link: http://www.poetryintranslation.com/PITBR/German/Goethepoems.htm
Faust and some other plays can be readcast at http://www.imagi-nation.com/moonstruck/clsc20p.html

Comments

  1. Wow, didn't know that wrote this for mom. How sweet :)

    Thanks for posting this col :D

    ~marielle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Ne. Sorry for the late reply. :-)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Something About Tumbo (Cara y Cruz): A Hypothesis

SOOTHING AS NIGHT WINDS ARE: An Interpretation of the poem by that title by Salvador B. Espinas

The Ballad of the Mamumugon