Reading Stories to My 2 Year Old










I'd the privilege last night of reading stories to my little daughter. She's 2 and as I was relaxing on the couch "listening" to the mumblings on the TV, she approached me and placed a book on my lap, pleading, "Basa ta, Tay" (Let us read, father). I took the book and readily noted that it's one of those beautiful collections that I prided to have: Hope for the Flowers by Trina Paulus. Holding on the book in my right hand, I took her on my lap with my free hand and in a dramatic way, started reading to her the title. I was fortunate to reach page 6 before her attention was grabbed by some geckos emerging out of a framed artwork hanging on the wall. "Tay, toko!", she called out in excited voice. Ignoring it, I read on..."'They don't know any more about life than I do,'he sighed". "Tay, toko!" "AV, look, caterpillars hu! More catepillars!!! And look, a caterpillar pillar and Stripe is going up there!"

For a while, she stayed focus looking at the illustrations of caterpillars stomping on and being stomped on as they race for the top of the caterpillar pillar. "Eupak!!! Abong eupak!!! Yew! And she ran the aisle and enjoyed her childhood on some toys scattered about, oblivious of the book that tells of two caterpillars who have problems metamorphing into butterflies.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Something About Tumbo (Cara y Cruz): A Hypothesis

SOOTHING AS NIGHT WINDS ARE: An Interpretation of the poem by that title by Salvador B. Espinas

Maeocong, Chieftain of the Jae-o No More