The Parable of A Fox and A Little Prince




Antoine de Saint-Exupéry has this interesting parable about a little prince who lived in a little planet with its three small volcanoes and a haughty flower. One unforgettable chapter narrates about the meeting and separation of the little prince and a fox as he went about his inter-planetary journey. Their meeting was casual and yet wonderful:

“Good morning,” said the fox. “Good morning,” the little prince responded politely although when he turned around he saw nothing. “I’m right here,” the voice said, “under the apple tree.” “Who are you?” asked the little prince, and added, “You’re very pretty to look at.” I’m a fox,” the fox said. “Come and play with me,” proposed the little prince. “I’m so sad.” “I cannot play with you,” the fox said. “I’m not tamed.” “Ah! Please excuse me,” said the little prince. But after some thought, he added, “What doest that mean—‘tame’?” “It’s an act too often neglected,” said the fox. “It means to establish ties. To me, you are still nothing more than a little boy who is just like a hundred thousand other little boys. And I have no need of you. And you, on your part, have no need of me. To you, I am nothing more than a fox like a hundred thousand other foxes. But if you tame me, then we shall need each other. To me, you will be unique in the entire world. To you, I shall be unique in the entire world…”

And so after much patient endurance, the little prince finally tamed the fox and they filled their days together with laughter and memories to cherish. The fox said, “While other steps send me hurrying back underneath the ground, yours will call me, like music, out of my burrow. And look then. You see the grain-fields down yonder? I do not eat bread. Wheat is of no use to me. The rice-field has nothing to say to me. And that is sad. But you have hair that is the color of gold. Think how wonderful that is now that you have tamed me! The grain, which is also golden, will bring me back the thought of you. And I shall love to listen to the wind in the wheat…”

Their parting however was heartrending yet mystical:

The fox said, “I shall cry.” “It’s your fault,” said the little prince. “I never wished you any sort of harm; but you wanted me to tame you…” “Yes that is so,” said the fox. “But now you are going to cry!” said the little prince. “Yes that is so,’ said the fox. “Then it has done you no good at all!” the little prince responded. “It has done me good,” said the fox, “because of the color of the grain-fields. Goodbye. Here is my secret, a very simple present of a secret: It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye. It is the time you have wasted for your friends that make them so important. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.”

Comments

  1. my favorite book and the parable of the fox and the little prince is my favorite part.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing. And sorry for the late reaction. I just noticed it this morning. We're of the same liking as far as the Little Prince is concerned. Love it reading, again and again.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Something About Tumbo (Cara y Cruz): A Hypothesis

SOOTHING AS NIGHT WINDS ARE: An Interpretation of the poem by that title by Salvador B. Espinas

Balete Community College's Humble Beginnings